Skip to main content

Monday 27th March - Sunday 2nd April

This week we didn't have any lectures, we had various critiques with our tutor and class members. Unfortunately, I was ill this week so I did miss a few lectures but, when I felt better and went to uni, I received some helpful feedback about my group catalogue and my app design.

For my app design I currently have 23 frames, the minimum our tutor is looking for is 5. Having 23 frames, as iPhone 6 real life size, it is going to be hard to fit them all on to one piece of paper for submission. I tried to fit all of my work onto 1 A1 piece of paper but unfortunately, I had to remove a few frames to allow the important ones to fit. Here is an image of all of the frames I have produced:


This is a screen shot of all the frames before I attempted to place them all on one A1 sheet. This is what it looked like after my first attempt and, with the iPhone model:


I have 20 frames on here but I have included all the main parts. The frames I took out are the 3 white ones displayed in the image before. I decided those frames could be removed because they are the least important ones.  The small description on the right of the images is information about the app. This description had to be a minimum of 200 words. Here is what it says:

'This App is mainly aimed at school students on a trip. The App is made to teach and inform people of the artwork within the exhibition. The aim of the App is to collect puzzle pieces within the App by taking photography’s or scanning the gallery images. When the artwork is scanned, it will bring the person to an information page. This page consists of information from the Cooper Hewitt website. It will also have either an animation of the artwork scanned or, an audio recording about the piece. Every time an image is scanned, a puzzle piece is found. Once they are all found, the person will receive a code that allows them to collect a gift. The gift with be a small bag that contains a branded pen, pencil, rubber and small note pad.
For the App icon, I have decided to use the same design that I have used throughout this project. The triangle in the icon is used within this App, and is also used on the flyer and website. This led me to think it would be the most effective because, the consistencey will allow the user to identify the exhibition when they see the logo.'

During this week I met up with my group so we could make changes to our catalogue based on feedback we received from our tutor and class. This is what it used to look like:

Front:

Back:


This is what it now looks like in response to our feedback:

Front:

Back:

The changes we made as a team have improved our work. I am very happy with the final outcome of our catalogue. The resized and positioned tag-line on the front cover is more striking than before and, also gets ride of the empty space which was taking attention away from the information. The use of colours on the back of the catalogue have really changed the aesthetics of the design. The plain grey background used previous looked very harsh and dull, now that there is colour it looks a lot more interesting.

Next weeks aim: work out how I will print and mount my App mock-up and, continue to add more details to the presentation of the App (e.g: gestures and small notes on transitions)

Comments