Skip to main content

Course work and worshops 6 and 7

14th November - 24th November

Monday14th November

Dr Simon Bell was not in to give us a lecture. This meant we had Paula presenting a movie

Tuesday 15th November

The lecture started off with him informing us on how he wanted our work to be presented. He told us we need to hand in a USB with our research and development of our key milestones of work. He then showed us examples of work that was produced last year for the same subject, looking at other people's work made me realise i need to tell more of the story throughout my work. I also need to produce a variety of designs, show my development and changes I produced after feedback.

He then moved on to info design. We looked at micro/macro reading and complicity versus simplicity. Simplicity is fine data. He informed us that the eye can only take a certain amount of information at a time so it is important, we design a map that doesn't overcomplicate things. He then went around the room to talk to individual groups. He answered a few questions and we then started having studio practice.

Wednesday 16th November

Instead of having our usual breakfast club with Paula, we had Phil given us a presentation and brief that we should have received on Friday. We didn't receive this on Friday because, he was in Singapore and our replacement tutor turned up late. The brief/essay is very interesting and is looking from a different angle to what I'm used to. Part of the essay is to research a graphic designer/typography designer and write as if I was them giving me feedback on my work (Wim Crouwel writing about my work). At first this was hard for me to get my head around, but soon understood and started the first 400 words. The brief consists of four new words of advice written from them to me, 600 word critique (compare to their work and someone else), 400 word response, and a Adobe in design and photoshop edited typeface I have produced.


Thursday 17th November

Today was our lecture with Paula, she demonstrated how we place our badge design and banner into the template provided. After she done this presentation, she moved on to giveing us a new brief for the Penguin book competition. On a submission date we need to produce one book cover, one Pinterest board, and a sketch. The final design needs to be flat including cover, back and spine which will be mounted onto A3 foam board. This will also be with a free page presentation in PDF format which can include a mockup.
We then looked at a bit of history of the Penguin book covers. Here are the notes I gathered:

I then had a IT work show with Pete. We looked at InDesign and how to use master pages and the importance of consistency. Here are the notes I gathered from the class:



Friday 18th November

Today’s lecture was from Phil, which was entitled typography: how we read. These are the notes I gathered:













Comments