Skip to main content

Online Portfolio - Explanation

Web Address: https://viennasmith.myportfolio.com

Today I made my online portfolio live! Here is a short explanation of why I included the work in it.




Once I had produced my research, action plan and CV, I moved on to creating my online portfolio. I decided to make my portfolio online rather than physical because, it targets my specific career employers, graphic design agencies. Graphic design agencies usually look for both digital and printed work however, the majority want digital. Having an online portfolio means, employers can view my work while they look through my CV. This is beneficial because, it allows the employer to get a feel and better understanding of how I work. However, physical portfolios have their benefits too. Work can look different printed compared to being seen on a screen therefor, depending on the career I am going for, has an impact on whether a physical or online portfolio would be better. For now, an online portfolio is best suited for this career path.

The website I have decided to use for my portfolio is Adobe Portfolio. I was originally going to use one that I produced in college and make it more up to date, unfortunately I cannot remember the login details. However, the new one I have produced looks far more professional and is better suited for the career path I am on. This portfolio is always going to be in progress for improvement as time goes on as I produce more projects. The portfolio will also be edited depending on the job role I have applied for.

I have placed a wide range of different project outcomes so employers can see my versatility and broad range of skills. This is something graphic design agencies will be scrutinising as they are looking through applications. I have made sure I have included, app design, web design, branding, advertisement, book cover design, magazine spread, typography, photography and videography/ animation. These projects will help identify my abilities to anyone that views my work.

I wanted the layout to be very simple and user friendly, so I decided to have a cover image for each page section.  This is so employers can see a title and an image to quickly see what that project is about. Each section also has a small description about the project along with how it was produced. This will inform employers as to the traditional and modern methods of production I can use.

I thought the best way to organise my portfolio was by time, chronologically in date order. This is so employers can see how I have developed overtime. I decided to include work from my college years, in addition to some university work, so there is a sense of experimentation and development. The work I produced during this time is very diverse and shows I can produced various graphic outcomes, which is another aspect graphic design agencies will be looking for. I have also included one self-directed project which is Photography. In this section, I have gathered a few photographs I have produced myself, which are mainly nature environments.



Comments