Skip to main content

Dissertation choices

It is my final year of university which means it is time to think about my dissertation. I decided to start looking at various questions I could answers based on my personal areas of interest within Graphic Design. The questions I have thought of so far are:
  1. How have the trends in graphic design changed over the past decade?
  2. What do you consider more important aesthetics or function?
  3. How do modern technologies influence graphic design?
  4. Why does graphic design play such an important role in advertising?
  5. What are the most popular designs used in the creation of the commercial logos?
  6. How does design interact with politics?
  7. How does culture affect graphic design?
  8. Why do some designs inspire strong emotional responses?
  9. What role does graphic design play in government propaganda? 
  10. How did the design of the book cover of Jurassic Park affect the sales?
  11. How does technology affect graphic design? 
  12. What role does graphic design play in changing culture?

Question 10, is very similar to the essay I produced last year. The essay was titled  'Paper versus pixels – A never ending war' . For a quick over view of that essay I have placed a copy of the abstract below.

Abstract

The purpose of the research was to decipher if digital production has taken over and made printing redundant. Some may argue that print is out dated in this High-Tec era and has no place in the minds of consumers. Secondary research was used to investigate aspects of the industry in relation to the consumer, such as quality, preference, sustainability and expense. The results from the objectives of the research found that, print is by no means redundant and still has a level of precedence for the consumer experience.

If I was to go with the question or something similar, I feel like I would be able to do a good job of it however, I feel like I should broaden my knowledge and push myself out of my comfort zone by selecting another topic.

Question 2,4,6,9, are the ones I find most interesting. I would happily select one of these for my dissertation. Now that I have selected a range, I can discuss them with my tutor to see which one is the strongest question.

Comments