Skip to main content

308AAD: The mirror and book (final piece)

This project really pushed me being my comfort zone, I ended up changing my short cut story 3 times until I final found the one I felt I could reflect the most.

The BBC shortcuts I decided to select (for the third time lucky) was called Role Models. The particular part I wanted to reflect was short. The quote was:

"You know, vampires have no reflections in a mirror? There's this idea that monsters don't have reflections in a mirror. And what I've always thought isn't that monsters don't have reflections in a mirror. It's that if you want to make a human being into a monster, deny them, at the cultural level, any reflection of themselves... Part of what inspired me, was this deep desire that before I died, I would make a couple of mirrors. That I would make some mirrors so that kids like me might see themselves reflected back and might not feel so monstrous for it." - Junot Diaz

I made this section into a visual representation using glue, a mirror and a book. Below I have attached images of the final outcome:







Producing this mirror was incredibly hard! I ended up redoing it 4 times, the final time was on my 22nd birthday... Yes, I sent my birthday doing this project.

Comments